Monday, March 3, 2014

Traveling - Converters and Luggage

I bought this converter the other day. I was thinking it would be easier to pack than my giant, 5 lb converter. I plugged in my flat iron, and after 10 minutes, it fried.

Ugh. Guess not. So I went to Boots and bought a cheap flat iron that fits in the UK outlets and will work on the UK/Europe current. Done. It's probably cheaper than continuing to buy converters or pay for the larger luggage at the airport.

I've also decided to give the duffel bag a chance with travel. I've heard and read that they are better for travel because they are lighter and not as bulky as the luggage with wheels. Apparently the wheel and handle assembly takes up a lot of space and your weight allowance. Also, if you stay anywhere that has stairs but no lift, those bulky bags with wheels are not ideal. However, a bag that you can carry at your side or strap on your back as you ascend 4-5 floors... that sounds better.

I got a large duffel bag that is waterproof and can double as a backpack. It also has zippers designed so that you can fit a lock on it. For hand luggage, I bought a 40 litre backpack. It's large enough to fit about a week's worth of stuff but small enough to be used as a carry-on. I've decided to start packing laundry wash strips as well so that I can pack less. I'll just wash my clothes. I'm really trying to make traveling easier for us. Steve gets really unhappy in airports, especially when dealing with luggage and luggage rules/fees.


2 comments:

  1. We bought a pretty cheap converter (~$20) at target before we came to visit you. It seemed to work pretty well for us! The old flatiron I brought didn't seem to get as got as usual, but that would be my only complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for those visiting! Unfortunately, there is no Target here.

    ReplyDelete

I am happy to hear from you!