Friday, January 4, 2013

Whisky Mac Cream, Dog Food, and Fish and Chips

Today I made the whisky mac cream drinks from my Scottish Recipes cookbook. A whisky mac is 1.5 oz of whisky and 1 oz of ginger wine. It's a traditional Scottish winter drink. Whisky mac cream is 800 calories of goodness (You may need to skip a meal for this one). You whisk egg yolks with caster sugar. Then, you pour double (heavy) cream, caster sugar, and 1 tbl of whisky into a pan and bring to scalding point. Before it boils, you pour it over the egg mixture, and then, pour that back into the pan to heat while stirring until it thickens. Pour the cream into ramekins, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and set in the refrigerator overnight. Serve with the ginger wine poured just to cover the top. They are still chilling so I don't have any pictures of the finished product for you.

You can see in the picture on the cookbook what it should look like.


I tried to go to the fishmonger again today. She was closed. Big surprise. Next, I went to the new pet store on Rosemount St. and South Mount. She was finally open! I need some better food for Frog. He's just not gaining any weight, and he needs it. They had food specifically for French Bulldogs. She said that she fed this brand to her dog, and he was very healthy (lived 16 years). I bought the food and some other items, and of course, she doesn't take cards because she just opened a few months ago, so I had to walk up the street to the ATM. Be prepared when you visit Scotland. LOADS of places take cash only. Always carry cash. I owed £32.75 and gave her £35. She gave back the fiver and said, "Don't worry about it. You had to walk up to the ATM. I apologize for that." What a nice woman. The walk home was nice. The weather was nice. I'm really loving it here.

Dog food update (15 April 2014): I have found that the Burns and also James WellBeloved dog food brands are the best I could find in the city. However, recently I've switched my dogs to food I buy at Moorie Kennels. They make it themselves. It's half the price of other brands I've found. They've been training dogs for years. My dogs love it and are finally keeping weight on them. They look healthy!




Since the fishmonger wasn't open, Steve and I decided to make tonight our monthly fish and chips night. We walked up to the Rosemount Fish and Chip Co. to get our 2 small haddock suppers. Salt and vinegar on those? Steve says, "I wouldn't have it any other way." Man, it's so bad and good all at the same time!


Tonight we are watching the Aggies play in the Cotton Bowl. My mom ran to Best Buy yesterday after work to get us a sling box. Isn't she awesome? She got us all set up! Looks like we'll be up late tonight. BTHO (Beat The Hell Outta) OU!! Whoop!


4 comments:

  1. I recently started following your blog. My boyfriend was born and raised in Scotland and I started following some expat blogs since I'm looking into making the move to the UK at some point. Are y'all Aggies? I'm a recent A&M graduate myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pristine. Yes, we are Aggies. Congratulations on the graduation. Is your boyfriend moving back to Scotland, or is he currently in Scotland? Take a look back at my first few weeks of posts to see how the preparation and move plays out. It's stressful but possible, and we love it here. :o)

      Delete
  2. He's been working in Switzerland for the past year and a half, but thinking of moving back to the UK next summer. We think making the move to the UK will be easier than Switzerland, especially with me trying to find a job. I'm currently working in oil & gas software development here in Houston, but without any French or German language skills, it seems difficult to find work in Switzerland even in the IT field.

    I'll check out your older posts. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so jealous of you fish & chips!! I am an Aberdonian currently living in Oman and I just can't get those kind of home comforts here!

    Hope you are enjoying Aberdeen and the weather isn't too harsh on you.

    Check out my blog when you have the chance:
    www.theduncanadventures.blogspot.com

    Heather :)

    ReplyDelete

I am happy to hear from you!