Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Recipe for Marinara Sauce - Guy Fieri is My Hero

Tonight I had another cooking adventure. I made my own marinara sauce using Guy Fieri's recipe.

  • 3 Tablespoons EVOO
  • 1.5 cups diced yellow onion
  • 8 medium garlic cloves - smashed
  • Three 28 oz cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes (he recommends Muir Glen)
  • 1 Tablespoon chopped oregano
  • 1/4 cup shredded basil
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
Unfortunately, I couldn't find fire roasted tomatoes at Sainsbury's so I used these instead:




In a medium-large sauce pan, cook the onions on medium low heat in the EVOO until translucent (about 4 minutes). While they are cooking, you can smash the garlic.


I use a knife, which I hit lightly, to crack the outer "shell" around the garlic. It can then be peeled away easily. After that, I use the same knife to smash the garlic. Just put a garlic clove under the flat side of the knife and slam your palm onto it to smash the clove. When the onions are ready, add the garlic and cook until the garlic pieces are just turning brown (about 2 minutes).

 Then, add the tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes.
 Now add the oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and let simmer another 20 minutes. When it's complete, carefully transfer the sauce to a food processor to blend it smoothly.
You can use want you need immediately and then freeze the rest!

It goes great in spaghetti or as a dipping sauce for foods such as fried cheese!  Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! It's great to have homemade items in the freezer that you know where all ingredients came from. Homemade sauces such as this may also have less sugar and less preservatives than what you find on the shelf. Moreover, this is a yummy and easy recipe for those of you needing special diets such as gluten or sugar free.

It's not my typical post, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. :)  Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!