Saturday, March 16, 2013

Finding a vet for Frogdog and cooking beef stew with oysters and beer

I finally registered the dogs with a vet here in Aberdeen. I decided to go with Ashgrove Veterinary Centre Ltd. We went to see them today because Frog is still very thin, and I am concerned. The vet said that he only weighs about 22 lbs, which is very small for a French Bulldog, and he did weigh 28 lbs in Houston. You can see his spine sticking out on his back. He is on a good brand of food (vet confirmed), and feeding him more than usual hasn't helped him to gain weight. She also said that his heart rate is low. I am taking him in Tuesday for blood-work and a urinalysis. Hopefully we can figure out what is going on inside of him. He is acting normal. He plays with Angel, runs around in the park, goes on walks with me, plays with toys, and is eating normally. I really hope that this is something that will be easily solved. He's almost 5 years old. He's my buddy.

Moving on. Tonight I made beef stew with oysters and Belhaven beer. I got the round steak from the butcher and the oysters from the fishmonger. I'm not writing the entire recipe here, but if you'd like it, just send me a message. I can e-mail it to you from my cookbook.
You have to roll out the steak to make it thin, but the butcher did it for me. :o) 



You cut the steak into strips. Then, you have to get the oysters out of their shells. Be careful how you hold them because they can cut your fingers. Pry them open with a sharp knife just enough to get a spoon in and pop the shells apart.

You cut the oysters in half. Cut some strips of streaky bacon into thirds, and then roll the oyster half into the bacon. Then, you roll the bacon into the steak strip.
After that, you roll each one in a mixture of flour, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Put it in a casserole dish. Pour some of the beer over it and bring to a boil. Finally, you cover and put it in the oven for 1.5-2 hours. I didn't get a good picture of the finished product. I haven't perfected my presentation skills. Anyway, I served it with roasted red peppers and mashed potatoes. It was really good! Thank you Randi for the cookbook. I'm working my way through it pretty well I think! However, I still don't have any desire to try that trout mousse. Sounds yucky.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to hear from you!