Monday, March 25, 2013

UK vs. US product names you may be searching for in the grocery store

I was talking to my grandma on the phone today about recipes that I would be trying this week. We started laughing about the differences in names of UK and US products, so I thought it would be fun to post some of the items you may be looking for in grocery stores either as an American moving to the UK or as a UK citizen moving to the US. Some items may not be exactly the same, but are the "equivalent" of the product. Pictures are from the Wal-Mart, Tesco, and Sainsbury's websites.

US Name                                    UK Name


Powdered Sugar vs. Icing Sugar

If you want bacon that is most common in the US, it is called "streaky bacon" in the UK. Otherwise, you get thicker slices in the UK that are similar to what Americans call "Canadian bacon."

Biscuits are tricky. 
These are "biscuits" in the USA

These are "cookies" in the US


  1. That's funny :) I get so confused when my American friend is telling me ingredients in her recipes. The chips/fries one always gets people. Another is capsicums I was like what on earth are they?!

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


I am happy to hear from you!